Fixing Railo and Resin on Snow Leopard

After upgrading to Snow Leopard, I found that my Railo install was not working anymore. I followed Luis Majano’s instructions for getting it setup on Leopard to begin with and the only way it would work for me was to switch the built-in Apache binary to the 32-but mode and then compile the mod_caucho apache module.
Well after the upgrade, that no longer worked. I couldnt get apache to start with the 64-bit architecture removed from the httpd binary so I had to find another way. After a bit of investigating, I found that the configure script checks my Java install for 64-bit compatibility and during that check it was returning that it wasnt 64-bit Java. Hmmm now wasnt Snow Leopard supposed to be all about 64-bit? So I checked my java binary for 64-bit support using the following from the terminal:

file /usr/bin/java

That returned:

/usr/bin/java: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures
/usr/bin/java (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
/usr/bin/java (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386
/usr/bin/java (for architecture ppc): Mach-0 executable ppc

It was showing 64-bit support, so what was the issue? So back into the configure script I went. It turns out that it was checking a symlink which points to the current JVM install.


In my case, the symlink “Current” was pointing to a folder in the same directory named simply “A”. I have no idea where that came from since I never mess with the built-in Java on my mac. There was however several other directories and symlinks in the same folder that pointed to the “1.6.0” directory. So I simply deleted the “Current” symlink and recreated it to point to the 1.6.0 directory.

[russ@Prime:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions]$ sudo ln -s 1.6.0 Current

That created a symlink pointing to the newest JVM on my system. Then back in my Railo install directory which happened to be /Applications/railo, I ran the configure script again.

./configure --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-64bit

After checking the output of the configure script, I found this line:

-n checking if Java is 64-bit... yes

Success! Then I simply ran make then make install to install the newly compiled 64-bit mod_caucho module and restarted apache.
Now Railo is up and running again on Snow Leopard!


Although there are many downsides to being unemployed, there are a few upsides to it as well. One of which is that you have a TON of time to play with code and learn new things. After almost 3 months between projects now, I started getting the fever to launch something. So I was playing around with CFWheels at that time and decided to throw something together.
The result is Its not nearly feature complete, but I wanted to get something out there and start playing around. Its basically a site that allows CFML developers to create profiles, recommend other developers, etc. The idea is not mine, Most of the functionality is heavily “borrowed” from the Rails site I just thought it would be a cool project and wanted to see how much i could get done with Wheels.
Currently I have around 45 man hours in the site, that includes bug-fixing the last couple days. Its running on the latest version of Railo and was written with version 0.9.3 of CFWheels
If you are so inclined, create profile and share. If you happen to run into any issues, or if you can think of a feature that you would like added, please let me know. Afterall, I dont have much else to do right now. 😉

My Server Is Now Running On Railo

After considering it for a long time, I have finally converted my server over to Railo 3 Community Edition. I have been running ColdFusion 7 on it forever and I just couldn’t justify the upgrade costs to run my couple little blog sites and open-source projects. Fortunately everything went well with only a few unexpected hiccups that I will outline further in a minute. I must say that Im really impressed with Railo so far. I love how the admin is separated by site so each application can have its own settings.
Im one of the folks who has always criticized ColdFusion for not having a “Community Edition” for non-commercial applications like blogs and open-source applications. Im so glad to see that Gert and the guys at Railo have joined forces to open-source Railo and make it more available for developers.
On a few of the hiccups, well, the site is down completely. I expected that since it uses Transfer and I know they are compatible now, but I haven’t had time to work out the issues. Since Im running Mango, the Captcha on the comment form was being displayed as broken image. After posting to the Mango forums, I solution was posted to just install the CF8 Captcha plugin which fixed it right up.
Im really looking forward to writing some apps that can really push Railo and see what its made of.